Monday 1 August 2011

cpd23 thing 6 Online Networks

The thing about Online Networks are that there are so many and the rate of growth of such networks is rapid.
I have been on Facebook for quite a few years now, about 5 I think, and despite it's many faults and critics, I like it.  It has changed in the last 2 years in that it is more susceptible to spam and viruses and the audience is younger but it is still great.  The main benefit is that it's easy to use and a quick way of keeping in touch and sharing photos.  I deliberately don't have many friends, 85, and they are nearly all people I know who I have met face to face.  I use it via the app on my iPhone most of the time.  The developments in the last 2years that I think are useful are that institutions such as libraries have pages.  We have one for our LRC which is useful for informing students about news and events.  Also other groups that I'm involved in have pages such as the JISC ILT Champs and we have set one up for the JISC RSC Northern e-Learning Group.
LinkedIn is the one online network site /facility that I find slightly difficult and I'm not sure why.  I see the point of it but the interface doesn't appeal but I'm persevering with it and have quite a few connections.  They are people that I am or would like to be connected with and involved with through my professional life.
I think it is important to decide how you are going to each network even if the decision is that you are going to use it in a flexible way.  I use Facebook predominantly for people I know and know well as friends.  Twitter I use as a one stop shop to disseminate anything and everything that is of interest to me and hopefully to others. i always make sure that what I post is suitable and appropriate for anyone to read.  LinkedIn is more calculated to some extent in that I want to make a connection with someone I'm likely to collaborate with in a work environment.  I have yet to try Google+ so I'm not sure what that will bring - have I got time for yet another online network and blogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment