Thursday 27 June 2013

Busy weeks - at work and away

The last two weeks have been a mixture of being at work in my new job at Heriot Watt and being at work related events and conferences. I'm hoping to catch up with separate blogs about the events but a quick run down includes:
1. Service Desk Institute Conference at Edgbaston, Birmingham.
2. ALT-S SIG event at Glasgow Caledonian University.
3. ALT-CX Trustees Meeting at Aston Business School
4. Open Scotland Summit at the National Museum of Scotland

During the time that I've been at 'normal' work, I've continued to meet up with as many people as possible who are members of my team or members of the surrounding teams within the Information Services Directorate.
It takes time but it is time well spent. It is very useful to me and helps to build up a picture of how everything works - a bit like mapping the landscape. It shows where people are physically placed and also the interactions between them. It's interesting to hear how people see their role and hopefully shows that I am interested in them and what they do.
As far as my team, the Customer Services Team, are concerned, I've spoken to most of them to find out what they do. I still need people to show me some of the processes and systems but I've got an overview. I don't need to know all the nitty gritty yet and I'm making some assumptions based on what a typical library service desk would do.
The IT helpdesk is part of my remit from July so I've started to liaise and interact with them and get to know how it works.
The surrounding teams basically consist of User Services which are second line services and also include Subject Librarians. It's interesting talking to them and thinking how we are going to refer enquiries.
Resources are another part of the Directorate and this includes acquisitions, cataloging and library systems.
So the next (first) step to developing the team is to give us an identity as the 'Customer Services' team. Also to set up weekly team meetings which will provide a focal point for communication and discussion.
There are a lot of exciting changes happening not least a library self service system which is going to be installed this summer. They are coming to do the site visit on Monday and may bring a test kiosk for us to try out.



No comments:

Post a Comment